Kelly’s History of Norfolk

The Post Office Directory MDCCCLXIX, (1869)

WOODNORTON is a parish, 3 miles east from Ryburgh station, 6 east-by-south from Fakenham, and 8½ south-west from Holt, in the North Eastern division of the county, Eynsford hundred, Aylsham Union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and archdeanory and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saint’s is a plain build- having a brick tower containing 1 bell, chancel and porch. The register dates from the year 1722. The living is a rectory, consolidated with Swanton Novers, joint yearly value £446 10s, with 60 acres of glebe land and residence, in the gift of the dean and chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held by the Rev. John Shuldham, M. A. of Christ Church.

The Wesleyans have a  chapel here. The soil is mixed, subsoil clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church are lords of the manor and chief owners of the parish. Lord Hastings, Mrs Gill, William Norris, Esq., the Rev. Philip Francis, and W. S. Phillips, Esq., are also owners. The parish contains 1,726 acres, and the population in 1861 was 250

The Parish Clerk, William Wright

Letters through Thetford.          Foulsham is the nearest money order office.

England Mr Edward
Francis Mr. John Philip
Norris William Esq. D.I. Norton Hall
Phillipps William Skinner Esq.
Shuldham Rev. John M.A. (rector)

Commercial

Amiss William:              Farmer
Applegate William:        Farmer
Cotts Samuel                Carpenter
Dack Robert:                 Sun, & Balcksmith
Daynes William:             Farmer
Doughty William:            Farmer
England Edward:             Farmer Church Farm
Francis John Philip:         Farmer
Harmer Elizabeth: (Miss),Shopkeeper
High Henry:                   Farmer
Long John:                    Miller
Middleton Mary (Mrs):     Horseshoes
Mitchell William:             Farmer
Nicholls Ann (Mrs), & Thos.:Farmers
Waller Samuel:              Cattle dealer
Weddup Daniel:             Farmer
Wright William:             Tailor

 

Kellys Directory of 1891

Wood Norton is a parish 2.5miles from Hindolveston station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, 6miles east-by-south from Fakenham and 8miles south west from Holt, in the northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and the arch deanery and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of flint and brick, containing one bell. In the church are memorials to several former rectors. The building thoroughly restored and reseated in 1881, at a cost of nearly £1000, and affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1772. The living is a rectory: net yearly value £260, with 60 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Burton Lipscomb M.A. of St Mary Hall, Oxford. Here is a primitive Methodist Chapel. The rents of the old workhouse and of 14.24 acres of town land are assigned to the relief of the rates and for fuel. The rents of the fuel allotment, containing 18.5 acres, let for £27 yearly, awarded at the inclosure of 1813, and of .5 acre of other land, are given to the poor in coals.

Norton Hall, at present unoccupied is the property William Edward Norris esq. J.P. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, are Lords of the Manor and chief landowners.  Lord Hastings the trustees of Mrs Gill and W E Norris esq. are also landowners here. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The parish contains 1276 acres; rateable value, £709: the population in 1891 was 265.

Post Office – Frederick Bidewell, sub-postmaster. Letters through Guist S.O. arrive at 6.50am dispatched 5.40pm; Sundays arrive 6.50am, dispatched 10.35am.Postal orders are issued here but not paid. Guist is the nearest money order, and Foulsham is the nearest telegraph office.

Church of England School (mixed) built in 1875, for 70 children; average attendance, 40.

Miss Minnie L Collin, mistress.
Norris William Edward J.P.
Rogers Rev. Henry Chittenden MA                         The Rectory

Commercial

Bell Robert Martin                Farmer
Bidewell Frederick               Grocer, draper, & sub postmaster
Butler Jn. Wm. Farmer      Res. Barney Lo
Dack Robert                          Sun public P.H. & Blacksmith
Doughty William Gill           Shoemaker
Gidney John,                         Farm Bailiff to W. E. Norris esq.
Harrison John Southgate  Farmer
Hunt Charles jun.                Farmer
Mitchell John (Mrs)            Farmer
Mitchell William                  Farmer
Mitchell Wm. Jas.               Wheelwright & builder
Russell William                   Horseshoes P.H.
Wright William                   Bricklayer
Wright William                   Tailor

 

Kellys Directory of 1896

Wood Norton is a parish 2.5miles from Hindolveston station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, 6miles east-by-south from Fakenham and 8miles south west from Holt, in the northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and the arch deanery and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of flint and brick, containing one bell. In the church are memorials to several former rectors. The building thoroughly restored and reseated in 1881, at a cost of nearly £1000, and affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1772. The living is a rectory, tithe rent-charge £420, average £328, net yearly value £240, with 60 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1884 by the Rev. Henry Chittenden Rogers M.A. of that house. Here is a primitive Methodist Chapel. The rents of the old workhouse and of 14.25 acres of town land are assigned to the relief of the rates and for fuel. The rents of the fuel allotment, containing 18.5 acres, let for £27 yearly, awarded at the inclosure of 1813, and of .5 acre of other land, are given to the poor in coals.

Norton Hall, at present unoccupied is the property of William Edward Norris esq. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, are Lords of the Manor and chief landowners. Lord Hastings, the trustees of Mrs Gill and William Norris esq. are also landowners here. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The parish contains 1276 acres; rateable value, £709: the population in 1891 was 265.

Post Office – Frederick Bidewell, sub-postmaster. Letters through Guist S.O. arrive at 6.50am dispatched 5.40pm; Sundays arrive 6.50am, dispatched 10.35am.Postal orders are issued here but not paid. Guist is the nearest money order, and Foulsham is the nearest telegraph office.

Church of England School (mixed) built in 1875, for 70 children; average attendance, 40.

Miss Minnie L Collin, mistress.
Norris William Edward J.P.
Rogers Rev. Henry Chittenden MA  The Rectory

Commercial

Bell Robert Martin                    Farmer
Bidewell Frederick                   Grocer, draper, & sub postmaster
Butler Jn. Wm.                         Farmer                Res. Barney Lo
Dack Robert                              Sun public P.H. & Blacksmith
Doughty William Gill                Shoemaker
Drewell James                          Farmer
Gidney John,                             Farm Bailiff to W. E. Norris esq.
Harrison John Southgate       Farmer
Hunt Charles jun.                     Farmer
Mitchell John (Mrs)                  Farmer
Mitchell William                        Farmer
Russell William                         Horseshoes P.H.
Wright William                         Bricklayer
Wright William                         Tailor

 

Kellys Directory of 1908

Wood Norton is a parish 2.5miles from Hindolveston station on the Midland and Great Northern joint railway, 6miles east-by-south from Fakenham and 8miles south west from Holt, in the northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and the arch deanery and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, south porch and an embattled western tower of flint and brick, containing one bell. In the church are memorials to several former rectors. The building thoroughly restored and reseated in 1881, at a cost of nearly £1000, and affords 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1772. The living is a rectory: net yearly value £260, with 60 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1903 by the Rev. Charles Burton Lipscomb M.A. of St Mary Hall, Oxford. Here is a primitive Methodist Chapel. The rents of the old workhouse and of 14.24 acres of town land are assigned to the relief of the rates and for fuel. The rents of the fuel allotment, containing 18.5 acres, let for £27 yearly, awarded at the inclosure of 1813, and of .5 acre of other land , are given to the poor in coals. Norton Hall, now the residence of Julian J Verel esq. is the property William Edward Norris esq. J.P. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, are Lords of the Manor and chief landowners. Lord Hastings and W E Norris esq. are also landowners here. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and hay. The parish contains 1276 acres; rateable value, £1,743: the population in 1901 was 269.

Post Office – Frederick Bidewell, sub-postmaster. Letters through Guist S.O. arrive at 7am and 2pm. Dispatched 8.50am and 5.30pm. Sundays 7am, dispatched 10.35am. The office is open on Sundays 8 – 10am for the sale of stamps. Guist is the nearest money order & telegraph office.

Public Elementary School (mixed) built in 1875, for 70 children; average attendance, 52;

Miss Margaret Jane Forgan, mistress.

Parish Clerk                William Wright
Arnold Alfred
Lipscomb Rev. Charles Burton M.A.
Norris William Edward J.P.
Verel Julian J.                        Norton Hall

Commercial

Bacon Robert John       Farmer                    Raw Hall
Bell Robert Martin         Farmer
Bidewell Frederick        Grocer, draper, & sub postmaster
Dack Robert                   Sun public P.H. & Blacksmith
Doughty William Gill     Shoemaker
Gidney John (Mrs),       Farm Bailiff to W. E. Norris esq.
Hunt Charles William   Farmer                    Severals Grange Farm
Jenkinson Thomas       Coal merchant
Mitchell William            Farmer
Mitchell Wm. Jas.        Wheelwright & builder
Myhill John                    Horseshoes P.H.
Myhill Samuel               Farm bailiff to Wm. Martin esq.
Smith Fredk. William Farmer                    Church Farm
Thurtle John                 Farmer                    Moor Farm
Wright William            Tailor

 

Kellys Directory of 1929

Wood Norton is a parish 3 miles south-west from Foulsham station on the London and North Eastern railway, 6miles east-by-south from Fakenham and 8miles south west from Holt, in the northern division of the county, Eynsford hundred and petty sessional division, Aylsham union and county court district, rural deanery of Sparham, and the archdeaconry and diocese of Norwich. The church of All Saints is a plain building of flint in the Early English style, consisting of a chancel, nave, vestry, south porch and an embattled western tower of flint and brick, containing one bell. In the church are memorials to several former rectors. The building was thoroughly restored and reseated in 1881, at a cost of nearly £1000, and in 1923 a new heating apparatus was added at a cost of £190: there are 200 sittings. The register dates from the year 1772. The living is a rectory: net yearly value £400, with 60 acres of glebe, and residence, in the gift of the Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, and held since 1929 by the Rev. Charles Burton Lipscomb M.A. of St Mary Hall, Oxford. Here is a primitive Methodist Chapel. The rents of the old workhouse and of 14.25 acres of town land are assigned to the relief of the rates and for fuel. The rents of the fuel allotment, containing 18.5 acres, let for £27 yearly, awarded at the inclosure of 1813, and of .5 acre of other land , are given to the poor in coals. There is a village hut, which will hold 200 people, erected in 1920. The Dean and Chapter of Christ Church, Oxford, are Lords of the Manor and chief landowners. Lord Hastings and W E Norris esq. J.P. are also landowners here. The soil is mixed; subsoil, clay and marl. The chief crops are wheat, roots, barley and some land in pasture. The parish contains 1276 acres; the population in 1921 was 287.

Parish Clerk                           John Myhill

Post Office. Letters through Guist, which is the nearest M.O & T office.

Private Resident

Norris William Edward J.P.

 

Commercial

Early closing day, Wednesday
Marked thus ° farm 150 acres or over
Bell Robert Martin    Farmer
Dodd Robt. Phillips  Farmer
Doughty Rt. Gardener to W.E.Norris esq. J.P.
Gidney John             Farmer, Hall Farm
Hall Ada E (Mrs)      Farmer Church Farm
Hall Horace Fredk. Farmer, Manor Frm.
Jenkinson Thomas   Coal Merchant
Mason Charles Edward   Grocer, Post Office
Mitchell Wm. Jas.     Wheelwright & builder
Mitchell James          Painter
Myhill John                 Carpenter
Pigot Thos                Farmer Raw Hall Frm.
Pilch Arth. Geo.        Horse Shoes P.H.
Potter William          Farmer
Russell Harry            Farmer
Russell William         Poultry dealer
Thurtle John              Farmer                    Moor Farm
Watts Charles           Sun P.H.Kelly’s History of Norfolk

One Response to Kelly’s History of Norfolk

  1. I saw 2 names Edward(Undated reference) , and William Applegate(1869) , farmers. Could these 2 families , and are there records , that they were g, gg, ggg , or later grandsons , of Richard Applegate , born in that vicinity in 1786, and died in 1875 , and are there known records of that family before 1786 ? I can be specific !

Leave a Reply

Comments are moderated. This may take some time as there is no full time moderator for this site.

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked with a *